The University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test or UGC NET is conducted for determining the eligibility for the Assistant Professor and Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) posts to be recruited in the Indian Government Universities and Colleges. The exam is conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) twice a year in June and December. The notifications are released by them on the website.
The exam is conducted at the national level on a single day. Candidates can select one subject from a list of 101 subjects conducted by the exam. The paper consists of objective type, multiple-choice questions. The candidate gets two marks for every right attempt, and there is no negative marking for the wrong attempt.
How to Apply for UGC NET?
The UGC NET form is to be filled out by all the candidates who will sit for the exam. You should first check the eligibility criteria, age limit and other information to ensure that they are eligible for the exam. You need to follow the below-mentioned steps to apply for UGC NET:
Step-1: Visit The Website
You need to visit website ugcnet.nta.nic.in and click on the ‘Fill Application Form UGC NET’ link available on the homepage. The application forms will also be available on BYJU’s Exam Prep. Visit the website to check the eligibility and exam preparation regarding the UGC NET.
After clicking on the link, you will be redirected to a registration or login page. Click on the ‘New Registration’ button, read all the provided instructions carefully before proceeding further. After reading all the details, click on the checkbox at the bottom of the page and click on the ‘Click Here To Proceed’ button. The UGC NET registration page will open on the screen on clicking the button.
Step-3: Fill out The UGC NET online application form
You need to fill in the following details in the registration form such as:
- Personal Details: You need to fill in the details such as their full name, date of birth, gender, father’s name, mother’s name and identity type and number as required
- Contact Details: You need to provide their complete postal address, contact number, email address
- Choose Password: Enter a new password and confirm it again. Then choose a security question from the given dropdown box and enter its answer in the next text box.
- Apply for: Select the post name (Assistant Professor or Junior Research Fellowship), then select four choices of exam centre(in order of priority) and then finally select the subject opted for UGC NET.
- Education Details: Provide your education qualifications such as the status of your post-graduation, qualifying exam state, the passing year of your post-graduation, post-graduation board/institute name, result mode, PhD. or M.Phil details (if applicable), etc.
- Security Pin: Enter the security pin shown below on the registration page and click on submit button. You’ll get a popup to review your details carefully before the final submission. You need to review the provided information and check on all the verified details you give.
- Declaration: Read the information given, click on ‘I Agree’, and click the final submit button.
Step-4 Upload Documents and Signature
Next is, you need to upload your scanned documents and signature. Ensure that they are in JPEG format only and check the file size. The documents that you need to upload are:
- Scanned passport size photograph
- Scanned signature
Step-5: Pay The Application Fee
You can now complete your process by paying the application fee of the UGC NET. You can pay the fee through SBI/Syndicate/ICICI/HDFC/Paytm payment gateway (debit card/credit card, net banking/ UPI).
- For General category candidates, the application fee is Rs.1000/-
- For General EWS/OBC-NCL category candidates, the application fee is Rs.500/-
- For ST/SC/PwD/Transgender category candidates, the application fee is Rs. 250/-
Step-6: Download the Confirmation Page
After successful payment of the UGC NET application fee, you’ll get a confirmation page. Download the page and keep them for future reference. Close the tab, and your UGC NET application process will be complete.
If you are a budding UGC NET aspirant, then you can check out BYJU’s Exam Prep which offers unlimited access to all UGC NET and SET exams, all India mock tests, detailed analysis and solutions of mock tests, highly-experienced faculties, high-end study material to help students crack the entrance test.
Stay Connected with our Education blogs India