I use AA batteries for so many things. They’re all over the house, in remotes, flashlights, alarms, and other applications.
Of all the things I use AA batteries for, there’s one application that’s pretty important — my wireless lav mics that I use for filming videos. Those batteries need to go the distance, and I also need to have backups, so I’m never left without power for those mics.
I took a chance on a set of eight rechargeable batteries with a USB charger from the brand Powerowl on Amazon. I’d never heard of the brand, but it was the height of the pandemic and I couldn’t find any others. The batteries had over 10,000 reviews with a 4.5-star average. The cost was also spot on (currently $28.99, plus a $3 coupon offer) and I figured they could serve as my backups if they weren’t great.
When the batteries arrived, I charged them up, and then inserted a charged pair of batteries into my mic and a pair into the receiver and set about filming. To my surprise, the batteries lasted considerably longer than I expected from an unknown brand.
Powerowl AA rechargeable batteries and charger
The Powerowl AA rechargeable batteries and charger greatly exceeded my expectations.
Here are the details you need:
- Can be recharged over 1,200 times, while retaining 70% charge after non-use (for up to three years)
- Achieve a full charge (for nearly spent batteries) in 6-8 hours
- Working temperatures — from 14 degrees F to 113 degrees F
- Storage temperatures — from 14 degrees F to 104 degrees F
- Indicator light — red is charging, green is charged, green blinking means battery is damaged, and orange means input voltage is too low
- Input: DC 5V 2A; Output: DC 1.4V 250mAh AA / 1.4V 250mAh AAA
- US UL 1310 safety certification
- Overcharge and short-circuit protection
- 2800mAh high-capacity, low self-discharge Ni-MH batteries for long life
- Includes eight batteries, charging dock, and USB cable
- Ten-year shelf-life
- The charger can charge one or all eight batteries simultaneously
The amount of time the batteries will last on a full charge depends on what they are being used for. My wireless mics can really drain batteries fast but I’ve been able to achieve roughly four hours of filming on a single charge. From my battery experience, that’s outstanding service.
Of course, your mileage may vary, depending on usage. But if you’re looking for a dependable set of rechargeable batteries that includes a handy charger, you can’t beat this deal. In fact, I’ve found that the Powerowl batteries tend to outperform name-brand rechargeables in both charging time and performance.